Macau | Daniel Ticktum wins a dramatic FIA F3 World Cup - Grand Prix

British driver Daniel Ticktum won the Suncity Group Formula 3 Macau Grand Prix in a disputed and unusual race

Macau (MNA) – The Motopark driver managed to win the FIA F3 World Cup in his second visit to Macau in unusual circumstances, with Ticktum having started in eight and with the top-3 changing completely in the race’s last lap.

Lando Norris – the FIA F3 European Championship – managed to arrive in second, after the Carlin driver had to start in 7th, while Estonian driver Ralf Aron amazingly achieved a third place after starting from 13th place.

The race started with Theodore Racing British driver Calum Ilott in first, followed by Motopark driver Joel Eriksson and Brazilian driver Sérgio Sette Câmara in third.

After Eriksson crashed at Lisboa Bend on the 3rd lap, Sérgio took a chance to get in first with German Maximilian Günther in second, and Ferninand Habsburg getting to third.

Calum Ilott had to drive to the pits after suffering from mechanical problems and ended up finishing in 15th after restarting the race.

Afterwards it was a tough battle between Câmara and Günther for the first, and between Habsburg and Norris for third.

Habsburg managed to pass Günther to second with four laps to go, but with Sette Câmara already with 2 seconds of distance to the Austrian driver.

Câmara had been under intense pressure from Ferdinand Habsburg over the closing stages, and withstood a big challenge into Lisboa Corner on the final lap.

However both crashed in the last corner at the R Curve leaving the door open for Red Bull junior Ticktum, who had moved up the field from eighth on the grid, to take the lead as by miracle in the final metres, coming home ahead of his compatriot and race favourite Lando Norris.

(Câmara’s car after the accident)

Estonian Ralf Aron took third place with Habsburg, who had three wheels on his car, getting fourth in the end, and Günther in fifth.

In the end it was Ticktum who made history, and a personal comeback for the 18-year-old driver that previously received a two-year racing ban in 2015 by the UK governing body, Motor Sports Association, for overtaking 10 competitors under safety car conditions and crashing against Ricky Collard during a MSA Formula championship.