Macau (MNA) – The Secretary for Transport and Public Works Raimundo Arrais do Rosário said on Wednesday that issues caused by floods at the Inner Harbour, such as energy cuts, will never be definitely solved, with short, medium and long term solutions to mitigate the impact of catastrophe.
“[After Typhoon Mangkhut ] there were some issues with electricity supply but in general I think the outcome was positive, especially when compared to [Typhoon Hato], considering the intensity of the typhoon,” the Secretary said today after a meeting of the Urban Renewal Committee.
According to the Secretary, Typhoon Hato had caused damages in 220 energy transformers in the Inner Harbour area and surrounding areas, with Typhoon Mangkhut damaging 90 transformers.
Some 20,000 residents suffered energy cuts due to the typhoon on September 16, with between 1,000 to 2,000 people having experienced energy supply issues in the following days.
“Human works are never perfect and there is room for improvement, especially when it comes to electricity […]. Probably we won’t be able to solve this problem permanently, in short or medium term there will always be issues with the transformers in the low-lying areas of the city. We cannot elevate some of them any higher,” he added.
The Secretary stated that this time Companhia de Electricidade de Macau (CEM) made the decision to shut down the transformers and turn them on again when the flood water receded in order to avoid damages, a decision he supported.
“We hope that in the short-term a lower number of transformers will be damaged, but maybe we will have to learn how to live with this problem […]. All the Inner Harbour area is very low, so it will always be vulnerable,” he stated.
The Secretary indicated that in medium-term the Civic and Municipal Affairs Bureau (IACM) is planning to develop a water pumping station, with the the tidal gate project being considered a long-term goal.
Concerning damages in DSSOPT projects in the city, the Secretary indicated preparations had been made in construction sites prior to the typhoon, with no serious damages or issues being registered.
The underground bus terminal at the Gongbei Border, which got completely flooded after Typhoon Hato, was said to have suffered some minor flooding this year without major damage taking place.