Macau (MNA) – The New Macau Gaming Staff Rights Association is going to submit a letter to the Gaming Inspection and Co-ordination Bureau (DICJ) on Wednesday urging the Macau SAR Government to establish an ordinance that would mandate casinos cease operation when Typhoon Signal No. 8 or above is hoisted in the city.
Speaking to Macau News Agency (MNA), Association president Cloee Chao said that the majority of gaming workers welcomed the measure that was undertaken by casinos of suspending operation during the passage of Typhoon Manghkut last Sunday.
The city’s gaming operators ceased operation from 11:00 pm on Saturday and resumed business at 8:00 am on Monday after the city’s Chief Executive requested gaming operators cease activities during the passage of the super typhoon, to which they promptly agreed.
It was a first to have their doors closed since the operations of the late SJM monopoly began in 1962.
Chao said they are confident that the government would legalise the measure.
She also revealed that the Association has not yet approached the management of any of the six gaming operators.
Brokerage Union Gaming had previously indicated that despite flagship gaming properties having seemingly ‘weathered the storm in significantly better shape than last year,’ Typhoon Mangkhut was estimated to have caused between MOP1.1 billion (US$136 million) and MOP1.5 billion in gross gaming revenue losses, particularly over the weekend period.