Macau (MNA) – The Secretary for Transport and Public Works, Raimundo Arrais do Rosário, said on Thursday that the joint committee formed by the governments of the Macau SAR, mainland China, and the Hong Kong SAR will decide upon the number of vehicles to be allowed to use the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge when it opens.
Mr. Rosário had previously revealed that a limited number of vehicles would be allowed to use the superbridge in the initial stage following the opening of the structure.
The Secretary also said on Thursday that more vehicles are to be gradually allowed.
Meanwhile, regarding the toll proposal for vehicles using the superbridge, the Secretary said information should be disclosed by the joint committee, claiming that “Macau should not unilaterally reveal any information.”
The Guangdong Provincial Development and Reform Commission issued a notice on Wednesday stating that a hearing will be held on December 21 in Zhuhai to decide the vehicle toll to be applied on the bridge.
According to the notice, two toll schemes are being mulled, with only the fee for cross-border coaches differing in amount between the two schemes; namely, one to charge RMB200 and the other RMB450.
Amounts considered under the proposed schemes define a toll charge of RMB150 for private cars or taxis and RMB450 for shuttle buses. For trucks and lorries, using the bridge will cost RMB115 and RMB60, respectively.
Meanwhile, the Secretary confirmed that Macau will pay 12.59 per cent share for the overrun costs of the superbridge.
Mr. Rosário also said that an area is reserved for the installation of a station of the Light Rail Transit (LRT) on the artificial island, connecting the island to the Macau Peninsula, but was unable to confirm the timetable for the construction of the station.