Macau (MNA) – The Philippines Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) says no final decision has yet been made on whether the development of a casino-resort by Galaxy Entertainment Group (GEG) in Boracay will be shelved, The Inquirer reported on Thursday.
PAGCOR chair Andrea Domingo was quoted as saying that she was surprised to hear the statement of a tourism official from the Philippines on Tuesday who claimed that the Macau SAR casino operator was withdrawing from its plans to develop the US$500 million project in the country.
Domingo claimed that there had been no formal communication between the two agencies – Gaming and Tourism – about the matter, noting additionally that GEG had not informed the gaming regulator about any changes to its plans to build the integrated resort on a property owned by its local partner, Leisure and Resorts World Corp. (LRWC), on Boracay Island.
Last week, Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte said he was against the casino project, claiming that he would hand the Boracay land to farmers. A spokesperson for the Philippines Government was subsequently quoted as saying that the country had decided to suspend the project.
The island will be closed on April 26 for a period of six months to undergo revitalisation.
The companies have been granted a provisional licence to develop the project in March.
LRWC was reported as saying by several Filipino media in a recent statement that it continues to be in talks with its Macau partner on the project.
The statement contradicts comments on Tuesday by the Interior and Local Government Assistant Secretary, Epimaco Densing, who said that Galaxy had “abandoned” its project in Boracay.
Galaxy has not replied to Macau News Agency (MNA) enquiries.