Macau | Seac Pai Van residents to take further actions if Gov't ignores opposition

Residents from the Seac Pai Van area will take further actions if the Macau SAR Government remains indifferent to residents' requests to withdraw plans to build two temporary depots for storing dangerous substances near the Seac Pai Van area

Macau (MNA) – Residents from the Seac Pai Van area will take further actions if the Macau SAR Government remains indifferent to their requests to withdraw plans to build two temporary depots to store dangerous substances near the Seac Pai Van area, stated one of the resident representatives, who preferred to only have her surname Mak (pictured, below) disclosed.

Ms. Mak, one of the representatives of the residents from Seac Pai Van who opposes the government’s plan to build two temporary depots for storing dangerous substances.

On Sunday, about 300 residents attended a public assembly within the Seac Pai Van public housing complex to protest against building the depots near their homes.

“We don’t rule out any possibilities of any mega public events [if the government does not withdraw the plan],” remarked Ms. Mak.

She said the assembly today was held in order to inform more residents living in the area about the government’s plan, indicating that many residents are still unaware of the plan.

“[Since] the government is not doing the job [of informing the residents here] we are helping them to do the job,” said Ms. Mak.

The group submitted a petition with over 7,000 signatures to the government on July 31.

The group also handed a petition to the Legislative Assembly when the Chief Executive attended the plenary session last week.

Mak said they received neither a response from the government nor any explanation for choosing the locations (pictured, below) of the temporary depots.

Locations of the two temporary depots for dangerous substances.

She opined that the government should build the depots on reclaimed land where it will be far from residents.

The Secretary for Transport and Public Works, Raimundo Arrais do Rosário said last week that the government is proceeding with the original plan despite the backlash against it.

Related

Latest