Macau | MOP8.5 bln to be spent in health in 2019 - Media

The Secretary for Social Affairs and Culture Alexis Tam indicated on his first Policy Address Q&A session that public health expenses would reach about MOP8.5 bln in 2019, with 76 per cent of it supported by the government and the remaining by residents

Macau (MNA) – The Secretary for Social Affairs and Culture Alexis Tam indicated on his first Policy Address Q&A session at the Legislative Assembly (AL) that around MOP8.5 billion (US$1 billion) are expected to be expended in health by the Macau government in 2019, TDM Radio reported.

According to the Secretary some 74 per cent of that amount was supported by the government with the remaining 26 per cent supported by residents.

“In Hong Kong, the Government pays 50 per cent and the population the other half of the medical costs. In Singapore, the government covers 40 per cent in relation to medical expenses and the population 60 per cent,” he stated.

Alexis Tam also revealed the schools that would have installations built in the former area of the canidrome racetrack, namely, The Worker’s Children High School connected to the Macau Federation of Trade Unions (FAOM); Escola Santa Madalena; special needs school Escola Concordia; and Escola Xin Hua.

The Macau government draft plan for the future development of the canidrome race track indicated that 19.8 per cent of the 40,025 square metre land plot will be used for education installations.

During the session the Secretary also informed that the number of families receiving economic support has been reduced by 11 per cent from 4,637 in 2015 to 4,118 in 2017, with an average of 500 families “escaping poverty” on average per year.

Alexis Tam considered that social support efforts had been successful, with the number of elderly home vacancies increasing 36 per cent 2,300 by the end of 2018 when compared to three years ago with the total number of places in kindergartens increasing 11 per cent to more than 11,000.

The Secretary also confirmed that the government intends to prohibit the sale of alcohol to minors under 18 hears of age, a proposal that will undergo public consultation next year.

Related

Latest