Angola has had a further 244 cases of infection with the new coronavirus in the last 24 hours, bringing the total to 8,582 infected, a third of which were reported over the last 15 days, the secretary of state for public health said on Thursday.
Franco Mufinda sai the increase in cases is largely related to the failure to observe prevention measures.
“The multisectoral commission strongly recommends avoiding gatherings, which should not exceed ten people, except those necessary and related to basic needs, and measures of prevention and physical distance should be observed,” he said, warning: “one of us could be the next infected.”
Of the 244 new cases, 229 occurred in Luanda, 11 in Cabinda, three in Kwanza Norte and one in Benguela, aged between one and 79, 146 male and 98 female.
There were also five more deaths, three men and two women, aged 29, 59, 68, 78 and 83, respectively, as well as the recovery of 265 people.
The epidemiological table shows a total of 8,582 cases, with 260 deaths, 3,305 recovered and 5,217 active, 9 critical and 23 severe.
In the last 24 hours, 1,343 samples were analyzed.
The Covid-19 pandemic has caused over 1.1 million deaths worldwide since December last year, including 2,245 in Portugal.
In Africa, there are 40,493 confirmed deaths in more than 1.6 million infected in 55 countries, according to the most recent pandemic statistics on that continent.
Angola has 260 deaths and 8,582 cases, followed by Cabo Verde (91 deaths and 8,122 cases), Equatorial Guinea (83 deaths and 5,074 cases), Mozambique (81 deaths and 11,559 cases), Guinea-Bissau (41 deaths and 2,403 cases) and Sao Tome and Principe (15 deaths and 935 cases).