Angola on Monday replaced the state of emergency with the state of calamity, in a move that set the ground for gradual resumption of regular life disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic in the country, said a document from the Council of Ministers.
According to the final communique of the council, the measure will take effect on May 26, and will last until June 9, with specific regulations for various public and private activities.
The government cannot neglect the serious economic consequences that have resulted from the halt of the social life and how it affected fundamental rights of the citizens, it said.
Despite the decision, the government would not neglect the precautions against COVID-19.
Luanda, capital of Angola, the only city reported with positive cases of COVID-19, remains under sanitary cordon during the state of calamity.
So far, Angola has reported 70 cases with four deaths and 18 recoveries.