The death toll from torrential rains in central China’s Henan Province has risen to 302 as of Monday noon, the information office of the provincial government told a press briefing on Monday afternoon.
Another 50 people remain missing, said the office.
A total of 292 people were confirmed dead and 47 missing in Zhengzhou City, the provincial capital, seven people dead and three missing in Xinxiang City, while the city of Pingdingshan and Luohe reported two and one death, respectively.
As of Monday noon, more than 14.53 million people in 150 county-level regions had been affected by downpours. Over 1.09 million hectares of crops were damaged, and over 30,600 houses had collapsed across the province, official data showed.
Since July 16, record rainstorms had inundated Henan. In Zhengzhou, 617.1 mm of rainfall fell over a three-day period, close to the city’s average annual amount. The city also registered a record hourly precipitation rate of 201.9 mm.
Extreme rainfall in a short period of time, disruption of urban traffic, and large water displacement of urban underground space have made search and rescue difficult, said officials at the press briefing.