Early voting for Portuguese presidential elections to take place between January 12 and 14

Portuguese nationals in Macau will already be able to cast their early ballots for the country’s presidential elections from today (Tuesday) until January 14 at the Consulate General of Portugal in Macau and Hong Kong.

Eligible voters who are not registered in Macau will be able to go to the consulate between 9:00am and 4:00pm and vote after showing their Portuguese ID or passport.

These include, per example, Portuguese citizens registered in Portugal and displaced abroad due to the exercise of public or private functions; or student, researchers or teachers in a local higher education institution or research unit.

Locally registered voters will able to vote on January 23 and 24 between 8:00am and 7:00pm.

Voters can verify their voter registration location at https://www.recenseamento.mai.gov.pt.

However, Portuguese nationals residing in Hong Kong will not be able to vote in the presidential elections scheduled for January 24 due to pandemic restrictions, the Portuguese consul previously revealed.

Due to the current entry restrictions, Portuguese living in Hong Kong would only be able to vote in Macau if they had previously completed 21 days of quarantine in the city, to then having to complete another 14-day quarantine upon return to Hong Kong.

Elected in 2016, the current Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa is seeking a second term and according to the most recent polling will likely be re-elected, with candidates André Ventura (Chega) or Ana Gomes (PAN and Livre) a distant second.

Other presidential candidates include Marisa Matias (supported by Bloco de Esquerda), Tiago Mayan Gonçalves (Liberal Initiative), João Ferreira (PCP and PEV), and Vitorino Silva, better known as Tino de Rans.

Sousa has tested positive for the coronavirus but has so far shown no symptoms, his office said on Monday.

The 72-year-old had one major presidential debate scheduled for Tuesday, as well as a meeting with health experts to discuss the details of a planned lockdown to be announced on Wednesday, but his office said he had already cancelled all his public appearances.