Grand Emperor Hotel re-opens after pandemic related closure

The Grand Emperor Hotel – which had been shuttered due to the recent confirmed Covid-19 cases – will resume regular business from today (Tuesday) after cleaning and disinfection work, the hotel management announced.

The 72nd confirmed Covid-19 case reported in Macau involved a mainland Chinese worker who stayed in three local hotels during his time in the SAR, the Grand Emperor Hotel, Sands Macao Hotel and Victoria Hotel.

The Emperor Hotel and Victoria Hotel have been designated as red code areas on October 5, with employees and guests tested and quarantined in the property, while the Sands Macao has remained opened after disinfection works were carried out.

A last special round of nucleic acid tests were carried out on Sunday covering the yellow and red zones and the surrounding areas where cases number 72 to 75 lived, which included the Grand Emperor and The Victoria Hotel.

‘We promise to keep implementing strict hygiene measures to safeguard and provide a clean environment for our guests,’ the Grand Emperor Hotel announced, with its food & beverage venues to open gradually between October 20 and 25.

The Victoria Hotel has yet to make an announcement about its re-opening.

The 72nd confirmed case also led to the closure of Casino Oceanus, part of the Jai Alai Hotel, after he was found to have played in the casino for several hours. After cleaning and disinfection works, Oceanus re-opened on October 9.

The Macau government has terminated the immediate prevention alert level that had been in place since September 25 to respond to the local Covid-19 outbreak, a Chief Executive dispatch announced.

The alert level had been announced on September 25 after a security guard at the Golden Crown China Hotel tested positive for the new coronavirus and became the city’s 65th COVID-19 case

Macau has since then completed two rounds of COVID-testing covering all residents from September 25 to September 28, and then from October 4 to October 7, with a total of 12 confirmed cases connected to a Turkish nationality resident who returned to the SAR revealed.