Grand Prix organisers put pedal to the metal

Everything is on schedule and facilities are being finalised to run the 64th edition of the Macau Grand Prix (GP) despite Typhoon Hato damaging some of the event amenities, principally the GP Tower and paddock area, according to authorities.
“Currently, some 98 per cent of the works are concluded,” said the President of the Sports Bureau, Pun Weng Ku, on the sidelines of a press conference held yesterday to announce the final details before the Macau GP kicks off, running from November 16 to 19.
Mr. Pun said the amount spent so far on “all facilities requiring repairing” amounted to some MOP60 million.
The Sports Bureau head also said that because of the works conducted by the Grand Prix Organizing Committee, along with other governmental entities, have been conducted “in an efficient manner, there will be no obstacles to the development of this year’s Grand Prix.”
The total investment by the Macau SAR Government in organising the 64th edition of the racing event amounts to MOP200 million, a budget very close to the one spent last year according to official information.
Revenue collected during the four-day event last year reached MOP50 million, with receipts collected via the sale of tickets alone amounting to MOP12 million, according to information confirmed during the yesterday’s press conference.
The President of the Sports Bureau added that they expect the amount of participants to remain stable when compared to last year, estimated at nearly 81,000 people.

Grand Prix highlights

The main development unfolding in this year’s Grand Prix is the return of the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC), which was officially confirmed on July 20.
The status of the race generated doubts in May when a press conference was held to announce that junket operator Suncity Group had been appointed as event title sponsor for the fourth consecutive year.
While on both the WTCC website and the website of the International Federation of Automobile (FIA) the touring car race appeared as scheduled to take place in Macau in November, the President of the Sports Bureau claimed at the time that they had “not committed to anyone in addition to the World Cup GT [Cup] and the [FIA] F3 [World Cup].”
The 2016 edition of the GP hosted the FIA F3 World Cup and FIA GT World Cup for the first time.
During the event yesterday, BMW Concessionaires (Macau) Ltd. was announced as the sponsor of the safety, medical, rescue and official vehicles for both the 64th and 65th editions of the Grand Prix.