The Macao Light Festival will take place from December 4, 2021 until January 12, 2022, with ‘Travellers from Mars’ as its main theme and opening up with a flying drone night show.
The event period will cover many festive holidays including the Anniversary of the Establishment of the Macao SAR, winter solstice, Christmas, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
Sprawling across different local streets and lanes, the 7th ever Macao Light Festival will illuminate new locations such as Macao Science Center and Barra Pier, offering a captivating experience to enjoy as night falls, from 7:00pm to 10:00pm every day.
There will be ten sessions of drone shows at Nam Van Lake at 19:00 and 21:45 per night on 4, 11, 18, 20 and 25 December, with some 300 drones will light up the sky during each show, lasting for 10 to 15 minutes.
After taking into consideration different drone formation shows in the past, five teams from Shenzhen, Tianjin, Guangzhou and Beijing were invited to organize the night sky drone formation shows.
The invited teams have staged drone shows at different major occasions including performances for the Mainland’s App of Yangshipin, Countdown of Asian Games and China Media Group Spring Festival Gala among others.
Three of the teams also set world records for the longest drone flight time and for most drones flying simultaneously.
There will be four different projection mapping shows presented by performance teams from Macau, Hengqin, Changsha and Tokyo, alongside fun games to give away themed gifts in special design.
The Livelihood Affairs Bureau of the Guangdong-Macao In-Depth Cooperation Zone in Hengqin will present a projection mapping show for the first time, to project a vision for the future development of the Guangdong-Macao In-Depth Cooperation Zone in Hengqin.
The Macao Light Festival will cover locations as follows:
1. Zona Nova de Aterros do Porto Exterior (NAPE): the front square and waterfront of Macao Science Center, as well as the footbridge between Macao Cultural Centre and the Leisure Area of Kun Iam Statue Waterfront;
2. Nam Van District: Anim’Arte NAM VAN, Nam Van Lake Nautical Centre as well as the Promenade between both locations;
3. Northern District: Leisure Area at Rua do General Ivens Ferraz;
4. Praia do Manduco District: No. 1 Pier and Barra Pier;
5. Central District: Calçada do Amparo, Pátio de Chôn Sau, Rua dos Ervanários, Rua de Nossa Senhora do Amparo and Largo do Pagode do Bazar;
6. Taipa: Staircase between Rua Direita Carlos Eugénio and Calçada do Quartel, Carmo Fair, Largo dos Bombeiros and Vila da Taipa Historical Center Archway;
7. Coloane: Largo do Bazar, Chapel of St. Francis Xavier and Largo Eduardo Marques