Macau | CTM confident back-up generators sufficient to cope with Typhoon Mangkhut

Macau (MNA) – Local telecommunications provider Companhia de Telecomunicações de Macau S.A.R.L has told Macau News Agency (MNA) that the company has “increased the capacity” of back-up generators to cope with Typhoon Mangkhut in the event telecommunication lines are cut during the passage of the Super Typhoon.

A representative of the company told MNA that during Typhoon Hato in August last year a “majority” of phone lines in the city were operational due to the presence of back-up generators, although declining to reveal how much CTM had increased its supply of generators leading up to Typhoon Mangkhut.

Typhoon Mangkhut, forecast to reach Macau on Sunday, will likely be categorised a Signal No. 8 typhoon, with weather authorities claiming that there is a slight possibility the signal be raised to No. 10.

During Hato, CTM had to switch to back-up generators to keep telecommunication services running as the supply of electricity from Guangdong, which supplies 90 per cent of Macau’s power, had been cut off.

Typhoon Hato caused ten deaths locally and losses valued at up to MOP12.55 billion (US$1.55 billion).