Macau (MNA) – The Macau SAR Chief Executive, Fernando Chui Sai On, said on Tuesday that he did not discuss the possible development of gaming in Hainan or any other Chinese central government proposal for the island’s development with the province leaders during the Forum Boao for Asia.
This week, Beijing announced a list of policies designed to boost Hainan’s economy, with the suggestion for the development of horse racing and a recommendation for the study of an international-style lottery.
“Hainan has seen 30 years of development and the Chinese government wants to position the island as a international tourism destination. We have good co-operation with Hainan, we have direct flights, however, we didn’t discuss [China’s] proposals, only tourism related issues,” said the CE during the Legislative Assembly (AL) plenary session today.
After the announcement, analysts have dispelled any idea that Chinese authorities are acting with the intent to legalize gaming in Hainan.
The statements were made during a question and answers session today with the CE at AL as a response to questions raised by legislator Angela Leong On Kei, who inquired if the issue had been discussed during the CE’s visit to the island located 300 miles southwest of the MSAR.
[Edited by Sheyla Zandonai]