Mozambique: President calls for ‘maximum readiness’ in the face of ‘enemy silence’ in Cabo Delgado

Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi welcomed the progress that defence and security forces are making in combating the insurgents in Cabo Delgado but called for “maximum readiness” in the face of “enemy silence”.

“There is a slight silence from the enemy, but we need to be at maximum readiness,” he said on Tuesday, quoted by Televisão de Moçambique.

According to the President, the results of the government forces in the operational theatre of Cabo Delgado show a relative advance, but this should not be a reason for distraction.

“We cannot be distracted by the silence of the adversary. Remain firm and do not falter”, he stressed.

On Friday, the Commander General of the police said that the defence and security forces had shot dead 37 terrorists and seized 21 weapons in the last week in Cabo Delgado.

The results announced are the result of operations by the 7th Defence and Security Forces battalion stationed in Macomia, one of the regions most affected by insurgent incursions, Bernardino Rafael told the media during a visit to the headquarters of that district located 176 kilometres from the provincial capital of Cabo Delgado (Pemba).

The armed violence in Cabo Delgado began three years ago and is causing a humanitarian crisis with over 2,000 deaths and 560,000 displaced people, without housing or food, mainly concentrated in the provincial capital, Pemba.

Some of the incursions have been claimed by the ‘jihadist’ Islamic state group since 2019.