This year’s International Film Festival and Awards Macao (IFFAM) Project Market will be held online and include 14 projects, including local productions, a large Sci-Fi presence, and a film produced by Cate Blanchett and Christopher Doyle.
Included in the IFFAM Industry Hub section, the IFFAM Project Market IFFAM Project Market will present a selection of 14 projects for an intensive program of presentations and meetings conducted digitally with members of the global industry from December 3 and 5.
‘In the face of challenging times, we are very proud to announce that the IFFAM Project Market returns this December for the fifth edition of engaging projects from around the globe […] the IFFAM Project Market strives to be a meeting place between cultures, presenting a lineup of titles from high-level talent bridging cultural elements between Asia and the Western world,’ the festival organisation indicate.
These selected projects will be eligible for four cash awards while meeting with potential collaborators from around the world.
Hong Kong veteran cinematographer Christopher Doyle and US actress Cate Blanchett will be present in the competition through comedy Peaches, a collaboration with Hong Kong director Jenny Suen.
Meanwhile, Cannes selected director Eric Khoo has been responsible for production in the Singaporean creature feature Prisoners of the Pacific, while Filipino-Canadian director explores a very different sort of fantasy scenario summoning the iconic Bruce Lee back from his staged death and retirement to save his old friend Chuck Norris from imprisonment in The Dragon Returns.
Some IFFAM Project Market alumni will also be present, including Mattie Do – whose Venice and Toronto selected feature The Long Walk pitched in the very first IPM – returns with her body horror-tinged mystery Entanglement, together with local directors Maxim Bessmertny with Marlin and Sam Leong’s（梁德森）with The Darter.
Other presences include Science fiction projects The Girl With All The Gifts by Haolu Wang（王昊鹭) and adaptation of Alastair Reynolds’ short story Fellow Travellers by producer Camille Gatin, San Sebastien and Toronto selected director Simon Jaquemet with an intersection of human emotion and artificial intelligence with Electric Child; and French helmer Jérémie Perin brings animated sci-fi crime noir Mars Express.
The 14 projects participating as Project Market entries will be vying for 4 Cash Awards: Best Project Award, Best Co-Production Award, Creative Excellence Award and Macao Spirit Award.
The three-person jury will meet with the 14 projects to determine the Award Winners over the course of project meetings from December 3rd to 5th, and the 4 award winners will be announced online on December 5, 2020.
IFFAM Project Market 2020 Selection List
- Ash Valley（白嶺）; director Shu Zhu（朱書）; producer Anderson Le
- Best Served Cold; directors Aaron Cowan, Josephine Luping; producers Aaron Cowan, Josephine Luping
- Death’s Bride; director Antonio Morales; producer Jon Arrospide
- Electric Child; director Simon Jaquemet; producers Michela Pini, Didar Domehri, Titus Kreyenberg
- Entanglement; director Mattie Do; producer Annick Mahnert
- Fellow Travellers; director Haolu Wang（王昊鷺）, producer Camille Gatin
- Kintsugi; directors Diego Lopes, Claudio Bitencourt; producer Diego Lopes
- Marlin; director Maxim Bessmertny（貝馬善）; producer Mário Patrocínio
- Mars Express; director Jérémie Perin; producer Didier Creste
· Peaches; director Jenny Suen（白海）; Coco Francini, Cate Blanchett, Juliette Schrameck, Jonah Greenberg
- Prisoners of the Pacific; director Junxiang Huang（黃俊翔）; producers Junxiang Huang（黃俊翔）, Eric Khoo（邱金海）
- The Darter（鏢手）; director Sam Leong（梁德森）; producer Jamie Poon（潘廸偉）
- The Dragon Returns; director Romeo Candido; producer Romeo Candido
- Titanic Ocean; director Konstantina Kotzamani; producer Maria Drandaki
BEST PROJECT AWARD – $15,000 USD
The prize is awarded to the project with the most profound qualities in all aspects.
· BEST CO-PRODUCTION AWARD – $10,000 USD
The prize is to encourage the project with the most promising co-production element.
· CREATIVE EXCELLENT AWARD – $10,000 USD
The prize is awarded to the project with the most creative originality and ingenuity.
· MACAO SPIRIT AWARD – $5,000 USD
Macao is a centuries old city and an intersection of Asian and Western culture. Macao Spirit Award recognizes the project that best integrates disparate cultures, for the purpose of celebrating the inclusive and glamorous nature of Macao.